- Customer Terms of Service
- Storybuilder by Everlaw Terms of Service
- Privacy Notice
- Cookie Notice
- Customer Data Processing Addendum
- Sub-processor List
- Trademark Policy
- TSS Guidelines
- Professional Services Addendum
- Service Specific Terms
- Applicant's Privacy Notice and Notice at Collection
- Community Code of Conduct
- Event Terms and Conditions
- Security & Certifications
Applicant's Privacy Notice and Notice at Collection
Last updated: December 15, 2022 | Download PDF
Everlaw is committed to protecting the privacy and security of the personal information we collect, store, and process as part of the recruitment process. This Notice covers the personal information applicants (“Applicants”) provide to Everlaw during the application or recruitment process including but not limited to when you respond to a job opening on everlaw.com/careers, when you submit an application to email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com, or when you are referred for a job opening at Everlaw.
We may update this Notice at any time. We may also provide you additional privacy notices regarding our collection, use, or disclosure of information. Please read this Notice and any other privacy notices carefully. Please note that this Notice does not form part of any employment contract or contract to provide services.
This Notice does not apply to our handling of data gathered about you in your role as a user of Everlaw’s services. When you interact with us in that role, the Everlaw Privacy Notice applies.
Information We Collect
When you apply to a job opening at Everlaw, we collect personal information in connection with your application. We collect such information either directly from you, affiliates, or (where applicable) from another person or entity, such as an employment agency or consultancy, recruitment or professional networking website or company, or others who provide references. We will collect additional personal information throughout the course of your application process.
The personal information Everlaw collects may include but is not limited to:
- Identifiers and other personal contact information (e.g. your name, email address, phone number);
- Sensitive and/or demographic information or protected classifications under certain laws (e.g. gender, information about your citizenship and/or nationality, medical or health information, and/or your racial or ethnic origin);
- Professional or employment-related information (e.g. your cv or resume, cover letter, past and current company, work authorization information, professional memberships);
- Educational information and professional background, including information from publicly available sources that you provide to us (such as your Linkedin, Twitter, and/or Github profiles, Portfolio URL);
- Information from interviews you may have during the application or recruitment process;
- Details of how you heard about the position;
- Reference information and/or information received from background checks, including information provided by third parties;
- Information relating to your references;
- Information related to any assessment you may take as part of the recruitment process and/or
- Audio or visual information, such as CCTV footage, as well as other information relating to the security of our premises collected during in-person interviews or other parts of the recruitment process, and photographs or videos submitted;
- Health-related information, only as necessary to provide necessary reasonable accommodations at your request during the recruitment process; and/or comply with Covid-related safety measures; and/or
- Other information you elect to provide to us in support of the application and recruitment process.
If you reside in the US, Everlaw may process sensitive personal information so Everlaw can comply with Equal Employment Opportunity requirements and recommendations.
How We Use Your Information
Everlaw uses and processes your information, alone or in combination, for the following application and recruitment process, which includes:
- Processing your application to a job opening;
- Assessing your capabilities, skills, qualifications and interests against a job opening;
- Communicating with you about your job application and potential future job opportunities;
- To support and manage the job application process;
- Verifying your information and conducting reference checks and background checks (where applicable and as consistent with applicable law);
- Responding to your enquiries and communicating with you about the recruitment process and/or your application(s);
- Comply with applicable laws, regulations, legal processes, or governmental requests; and/or
- Improving Everlaw’s application and/or recruitment process including improving inclusion and diversity in recruitment practices.
We may also use your information to protect the rights and property of Everlaw, our users, applicants, employees, or the public as required or permitted by law.
What Information We Disclose to Others
We may disclose your personal information for our business and operational purposes as described below.
Everlaw employees may have access to your personal information, including the hiring manager, Recruiting, Human Resources, IT, and Legal.
Parties with whom we may share some of your personal information, pursuant to any applicable agreements, include:
If you have been referred for a job at Everlaw by a current Everlaw employee, with your consent, we may inform that employee about the outcome of the process.
We may share your personal information with third-party vendors who are working on our behalf and require access to your information to carry out that work. Examples include: (A) recruiting software and talent acquisition platforms; (B) cloud hosting providers (to provide data storage and processing services); (C) communications providers (to process new queries and to manage our emails); and (D) corporate services (to facilitate business operations and communications).
Everlaw uses the recruiting software and a talent acquisition platform to collect and process all personal information Applicants elect to share with Everlaw. For more information, please refer to the privacy practices of the talent acquisition platform.
Compliance with Laws
We may disclose your information to a third party: (A) if we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with any applicable law or regulation; (B) if we are required by law to comply with a legal process, or government request; (C) to enforce our agreements and policies; (D) to protect the security or integrity of our Sites and Service; (E) to protect Everlaw, our customers, or the public from harm or illegal activities; (F) to respond to an emergency which we believe in good faith requires us to disclose information to assist in preventing the death or serious bodily injury of any person; or (G) with your consent.
We may disclose or transfer your personal information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company. Your personal information may be part of the transferred assets. Data processing for this purpose is a legitimate business interest. You may be notified thereafter of any such change in ownership or control.
Consent / Other Sharing
We may share your information with any other person or entity provided you consent to the disclosure, or where it is necessary to share your information to process your application. For example, to the extent you are working with a recruiter in connection with your application for employment, we may disclose feedback regarding your application and interview process.
How We Secure Information
We have adopted physical, technical, and organizational safeguards against accidental, unauthorized, or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, disclosure, access, use or processing of personal information we collect. If you have any questions about the security of your personal information, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Everlaw is headquartered in the US and has offices, employees, and service providers who operate around the globe. Everlaw may store, process, and transmit personal information to countries outside of your location, including but not limited to the US, where data protection and privacy regulations may not offer the same level of protection as in other parts of the world. Data may be accessible to law enforcement and national security authorities under certain circumstances. For instance, if you apply to a job opening for a role located in the UK, your personal information may be transferred to the US for administrative purposes in connection with the recruitment process.
Depending on your location, when we transfer your personal information we rely on certain legal mechanisms to safeguard the transfer, as required by law. If you are located in the EEA, UK, or Switzerland, this may include transferring your personal information to adequate countries or using the European Commission’s SCCs and UK addendum and any additional safeguards as necessary.
Legal basis under EU General Data Protection Regulation for processing personal information of EU/UK residents. Where you have consented to data processing, your consent provides the legal basis to process your personal information. We rely on your explicit consent to process your personal information.
You have the right to withdraw consent at any time. Please note that your withdrawal of consent to collect and process your personal information will not affect the lawfulness of processing your personal information based on your consent before you withdraw your consent. We may also process your personal information on the basis of our legitimate interests. Where we rely on legitimate interests to process your personal information, you have the right to object to such processing. We may also process your personal information where necessary for the performance of a contract with you or for compliance with a legal obligation.
Your Privacy Rights
Where we are acting as a data controller, and depending on your location and subject to applicable law, you may have the rights below with regard to the personal information we control about you. For all requests surrounding your personal information or questions about your rights under this Notice, please contact us at email@example.com, and we will respond promptly.
You can request to access, correct, update, and/or delete your personal information by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a resident of the EEA, UK, or Switzerland, you can object to the processing of your personal information and ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information. To exercise these rights, please send an email to email@example.com.
If you have any concerns about how we handle your personal information, or if you believe we have not complied with this Notice or applicable privacy law, please contact us in the first instance at firstname.lastname@example.org or refer to the contact details below. We will investigate the complaint and determine what action, if any, to take. If you are not satisfied with our response, you have the right to appeal to Everlaw or complain to the relevant data protection authority in your jurisdiction.
We retain your personal information where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so and for a period of time consistent with the original purpose as described in this Notice (e.g. process your application, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements).
Your personal information will be retained until the end of the recruitment process plus a period of up to 1 year for residents of the UK/EU and up to 2 years elsewhere, unless you request that we delete it before that time. If your job application is successful, the personal information collected during the recruitment process will be retained for the duration of your employment.
If you have any questions about this Notice, or would like to obtain this Notice in an alternative format, please contact email@example.com or:
2101 Webster Street, Ste 1500
Oakland, California 94612
32-38 Scrutton Street
London EC2A 4RQ
0800 068 9249
If you are a resident of the EEA, UK, or Switzerland: Everlaw, Inc. is the controller responsible for your personal information in connection with the recruitment process; and Everlaw UK Ltd is the controller responsible for your personal information if you’ve visited Everlaw’s UK offices and in connection with interactions you’ve had with Everlaw UK Ltd’s activities.
Additional Information for California Residents
If you are a California resident, this section also applies to you and supplements the information contained elsewhere in this Notice. It provides additional information as to how you may exercise your rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”).
Right to Know and to Delete. California residents may have the right to request information about a business’s collection, use, disclosure, sharing, or selling of their personal information. You may be permitted to request that we:
- Provide you the categories of personal information we have collected or disclosed about you; the categories of sources of such information; the business or commercial purpose for collecting, “selling,” or “sharing” your personal information; the categories of third parties to whom we disclose or “sell,” or with whom we “share,” personal information; and the categories of personal information we “sell.”
- Provide access to and/or a copy of certain information we hold about you.
- Delete certain information we have about you.
- Correct inaccurate personal information that we maintain about you.
Certain information may be exempt from such requests under applicable law.
If you wish to exercise any of your rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1.844-383-7529. California residents can use “authorized agents” to make requests to know and requests for deletion. We will take steps both to verify the identity of the person seeking to exercise their rights, and to verify that your agent has been authorized to make a request on your behalf.
California law places certain obligations on businesses that “sell” personal information to third parties or “share” personal information with third parties for cross-context behavioral advertising. We do not “sell” or “share” the personal information covered by this Notice and have not done so in the past 12 months.
Sensitive Personal Information. We process sensitive personal information for the purposes described in this Notice. We do not use or disclose sensitive personal information other than for purposes for which you cannot opt-out under the CCPA.
Non-discrimination. Everlaw will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your rights under applicable US privacy regulations.