Everlaw is looking for an experienced Public Sector Senior Counsel with superb communication, collaboration, and persuasive skills to support our business. In this role, you will leverage your sound business and legal judgment to provide legal advice in a fast-paced environment. You’ll report to our Managing Associate General Counsel, Commercial, and partner with existing Legal team members as well as with Sales, Customer Experience, and Business Development.
Everlaw's growing and dynamic legal team strives to facilitate the company's growth while mitigating risk. We are committed to serving as the trusted legal advisor to Everlaw and Everlawyers. We work cross-functionally to tackle the challenges Everlaw faces and find innovative solutions to complex issues. We are deeply involved in every aspect of Everlaw's business, operations, and security, from bringing our product to market and operating effectively on a global scale in the information age.
At Everlaw, our mission is to promote justice by illuminating truth. Our company culture is open and vibrant, and we’re committed to the professional growth of our team members, offering an annual learning and development stipend and regular check-ins with managers regarding career goals. If you’re looking for a place that values passion, integrity, thinking big, and a desire to learn, we’d love to hear from you! Think you’re missing some of the skills and are hesitant to apply? We do not believe in the “perfect” candidate and encourage you to apply if you feel you can bring value to our team
This is a full-time exempt position located in Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; or New York, NY with a hybrid work schedule: in office M/W/Th with the option to work from home Tu/Fr.
- We want you to feel like part of the team early on! Our onboarding process will integrate you into the company with informative sessions on our product, policies, processes, and team structure and goals.
- We’re excited for you to learn, grow, and contribute right away! We trust that you’ll bring experience and knowledge that will uplift and uplevel the team, but we don’t expect you to know everything on Day 1
In your role, you'll...
- Review, draft, and negotiate commercial agreements, amendments, government solicitations, and other key legal documents.
- Conduct gap and risk analyses of Everlaw’s standard terms against non-negotiable government terms.
- Navigate complicated and nuanced public sector procurement and regulatory questions and provide actionable and concise guidance to legal and cross-functional stakeholders.
- Engage with enterprise and public sector customers and effectively and collaboratively represent the company while simultaneously providing an excellent customer experience.
- Provide legal advice that balances risk with business objectives (creatively seek to mitigate risks rather than eliminate them).
- Identify and escalate any integrity or compliance risks.
- You have at least 8 years of commercial counsel experience, including 5+ years of experience in drafting commercial agreements and advising clients in negotiating contract terms, preferably for SaaS or legal tech companies and 5+ years of experience in supporting public sector deals (highly preferred) for a global sales organization and managing enterprise sales.
- You are innovative, don’t feel constrained by the way things have always been done, and can marry this with the ability to develop repeatable processes.
- You have superb oral and written communication skills.
- You have a strong sense of ownership and the ability to deliver results in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- You have ruthless prioritization and execution skills and can manage and advance several simultaneous deals with competing priorities and tight deadlines.
- You have excellent attention to detail.
- You have superb analytical skills.
- You are authorized to work in the United States; please note that at this time, Everlaw is not sponsoring visas for any positions.
The expected salary range for this role is between $195,000 - $240,000. The final offered salary will be dependent upon many factors including the candidate’s experience and skills. The base pay range is subject to change in the future
401(k) retirement plan with company matching
Health, dental, and vision
Flexible Spending Accounts for health and dependent care expenses
Paid parental leave and approximately 10 days (80 hours) per year of sick leave
Seventeen paid vacation days plus 11 federal holidays
Membership to Modern Health to help employees prioritize mental health and wellness
Annual allocation for Learning & Development opportunities and applicable professional membership dues
Company-sponsored life and disability insurance
Find out more about our Benefits and Perks
- Work in our downtown Washington D.C. office
Flexible work-from-home days on Tuesdays and Fridays
Monthly home internet reimbursement
Select your preference of hardware (Mac or PC) and customize your desk setup
Enjoy a wide variety of snacks and beverages in the office
Bond over company-wide out-of-the-box events and fun activities with your team
Time off for company-sponsored volunteer events and 4 paid hours per quarter to volunteer at a charitable organization of your choice
Take advantage of learning and career development opportunities
Ranked #9 on Glassdoor's Best Places to Work 2023 for US small and medium companies
One of Wealthfront’s 2021 Career Launching Companies, and ranked #2 on the “2022 Bay Area Best Places to Work” list by the San Francisco Business Times and the Silicon Valley Business Journal
One of Fast Company’s World's Most Innovative Companies for 2022 and proud contributor of free ediscovery resources to benefit the greater good through “Everlaw for Good”
Pursue Truth While Finding Yours
At Everlaw, we are deeply invested in pursuing the truth, for our clients and for our employees. We know that when you’re empowered to pursue your passions, it is reflected in the work. That’s why we’re committed to the professional growth of all our team members, offering an annual learning and development stipend and regular career check-ins with managers. If you’re looking for a place that values passion, integrity, and a desire to learn, we’d love to hear from you!
We help law firms, government agencies, and corporations sift through millions of documents of evidence in big lawsuits and investigations to find the proverbial smoking gun (or needle in the haystack -- pick your metaphor). It's a multi-billion dollar space typically dominated by service-oriented vendors, and we're coming at it with cutting-edge technology and elegant design. It's working, and we've been growing very rapidly: we host hundreds of terabytes of data and work with all 50 state Attorneys General and hundreds of law firms on some of the most high-profile cases litigated today.
Everlaw is an equal opportunity employer. We pride ourselves on having a diverse workforce and we do not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law. We respect the gender, gender identity and gender expression of our applicants and employees, and we honor requests for pronouns. It is our policy to comply with all applicable national, state and local laws pertaining to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity, including the California Equal Pay Act
. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Everlaw requires all of its employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a medical or religious exemption applies. If you are hired, we will require you to prove that you have received the COVID-19 vaccine, unless you have received a medical or religious exemption.