Last Updated: 4/30/2018
If you use the Everlaw Service as part of an entity or organization that has an agreement with Everlaw (like your employer), the terms of that organization’s contract for the Everlaw Service prevail for any conflicting or inconsistent provisions.
Please read the following carefully to understand how we will collect, use, and maintain your personal information. It also describes your choices regarding the correction and removal of your personal information.
Changing our Policy
What Information We Collect
We may collect certain user information, including personal information and/or sensitive personal information, in order to improve our product and processes, engage with customers, comply with legal obligations, monitor the privacy, security and operations of the product, and conduct staff administration.
Information You Provide To Us. We collect information you provide directly to us including when you use the Everlaw Service.
- We collect information when you enter into an agreement with Everlaw for a Product account in order to perform our contractual obligations in providing the Everlaw Service.
- This includes information required to create or modify your profile and account, access and use the Everlaw Service (including but not limited to when you upload, download, collaborate on, or share files or other information), participate in any interactive features of the Everlaw Service, submit a contact form, participate in a survey or event, apply for a job, request customer support, or communicate with us via third-party social media sites.
- The types of information that we may collect directly from you include your name, username, email address, postal address, phone number, information about your Product account preferences, employer’s name, job title, transactional information (including services purchased or subscribed to and billing address), as well as any contact or other information you choose to provide.
- We store the files or other information that you upload or provide to the Everlaw Services ("Content") in order to provide you with the features and functionality of the Everlaw Service.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Use the Everlaw Service. When you access or use the Everlaw Service, we may automatically collect information about you, including:
- Usage, Log, and Device Information: We collect information from your use of the Everlaw Service, such as number of visitors and visits, geo-location data, length of time spent on the site, IP address, pages clicked on, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your visit, and the referral URL. We collect information on user activity in connection with the Everlaw Service and may collect information about the features you use, the Content you upload, download, share, or access while using the Everlaw Service, the Content you access, and any actions taken in connection with the access and use of your Content in the Everlaw Service.
- Collaboration and Sharing Features:The Everlaw Service offers collaboration features which allow you to share your Content through the Everlaw Service. As a function of the collaborative nature of the Everlaw Service, and based on the permissions and settings you choose, the use of such features enables the sharing of Content with those you wish to collaborate. For more information about such collaboration and sharing features, we encourage you to review the information provided on https://support.everlaw.com.
Updating Your Information and Deactivating Your Account. You can update, correct, or modify your account information at any time by logging into your Everlaw Product account. If you need help accessing, modifying, or deactivating your account within the Product, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Note about Do Not Track (“DNT”). Some browsers offer a “do not track” (“DNT”) option. Because no common industry or legal standard for DNT has been adopted by industry groups, technology companies, or regulators, we do not respond to DNT signals. We will make efforts to continue to monitor developments around DNT browser technology and the implementation of a standard.
How We Use Information Collected
We may use the information collected through the Everlaw Service for the purpose of providing the Everlaw Service, related functionality and services, and engage with you about our product and offerings. The following are examples of how we use the information that we collect:
- To provide, operate, maintain, and improve the Everlaw Service;
- To enable you to access and use the Everlaw Service, including sending you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- To provide and deliver the services and features you request, process, and complete transactions, and send you related information, including purchase confirmations and invoices;
- To respond to your comments, questions, and requests, and provide customer service and support;
- To communicate with you about services, features, surveys, newsletters, offers, promotions, events, and provide other news or information about Everlaw and our select partners;
- To process and deliver survey entries and rewards;
- To review and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with the Everlaw Service and for marketing or advertising purposes;
- To investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions, unauthorized access to the Everlaw Service, and other illegal activities;
- To personalize and improve the Everlaw Service, and provide content and/or features that match your interests and preferences or otherwise customize your experience on the Everlaw Service; and
- For other purposes about which we notify you in advance.
What Information We Share or Disclose to Others
- Third-Party Service Providers. We may share your information with third-party service providers who are working on our behalf and require access to your information to carry out that work, such as to process billing or as it relates to a Product feature. These service providers are authorized to use your personal information only as necessary to provide services to Everlaw. Everlaw enters into Data Processing Addendums as required.
- Google API Services. Everlaw Product features include use of Google Translate (machine translation) and Google Drive (cloud uploading). The Translation API lets websites and programs integrate with the translation service programmatically. Product users must opt-in to the translation services by informing Everlaw of your preference within the platform or at email@example.com. The Google Drive API allows Product users to upload directly from cloud storage. If you opt to use this feature, Everlaw will request download access to the files in your Google Drive storage. We only view and download the files specified by you during the file selection process.
- Compliance with Laws. We may disclose your information to a third party: (a) if we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or government request; (b) to enforce our agreements and policies; (c) to protect the security or integrity of the Everlaw Service; (d) to protect Everlaw, our customers, or the public from harm or illegal activities; (e) to respond to an emergency which we believe in good faith requires us to disclose information to assist in preventing the death or serious bodily injury of any person; or (f) as otherwise directed by you.
- Business Transfers. We may share or transfer your information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company. You may be notified thereafter of any such change in ownership or control.
- Aggregated and/or Anonymized Data. We may also share aggregated and/or anonymized information with third parties that does not directly identify you. For example, in an ongoing effort to better understand and serve the users of the Everlaw Service, we may conduct research on customer demographics, interests and behavior based on the personal information, interviews, and other data provided to us. This research may be compiled and analysed on an aggregate basis, and we may share this aggregated data with our agents and business partners. This aggregated information does not identify you personally. We may also disclose aggregated user statistics in order to describe the Everlaw Service to current and prospective business partners, and to other third parties for other lawful purposes.
Links To Third-Party Websites
We may place links on the Everlaw Service, including the Everlaw Blog. When you click on a link from our website to a third-party website, your activity and use is governed by that website’s policies; not by those of Everlaw. We encourage you to review their privacy and user policies.
How We Store Information
By using and accessing the Everlaw Service, you understand and agree to the storage of data and any other personal information in the region of which data and information is stored on Everlaw’s server, or as defined in an agreement with us (including a Data Processing Addendum, as applicable).
How We Secure Information
We have adopted reasonable physical, technical and organizational safeguards against accidental, unauthorized or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, disclosure, access, use or processing of information we collect. We also choose to undergo security testing by an independent third-party auditor.
Everlaw has a SOC 2 Type II certification in Security, Availability, and Confidentiality, demonstrating that our system is designed and operates effectively to keep our customers’ data secure. We have also been audited for compliance with HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules, providing independent assurance of compliance.
You may access your Product account information and our Product only through the use of an individual user ID and password. To protect the confidentiality of personal information, you must keep your password confidential and not disclose it to any other person. Please advise us immediately if you believe your password has been compromised in any way. In addition, always log out and close your browser when you finish your session. Please note that we will never ask you to disclose your password to us.
If you have any questions about the security of your information and data, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Global Data Privacy and Protection Practices
Currently, Everlaw uses Standard Contractual Clauses, under Directive 95/46/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council (“Directive”), as the basis for Everlaw’s approach to global data privacy protection. These Standard Contractual Clauses provide appropriate safeguards with respect to the protection of the privacy and fundamental rights and freedoms of individuals and the exercise of the corresponding rights.
If you or your organization is required under the GDPR to enter into a contract or other binding legal act under EU or Member State law with your data processors, and Everlaw is acting as a processor for you, as the controller, as those terms are defined by GDPR, you need to review and accept Everlaw’s Data Processing Agreement by contacting email@example.com.
- Requesting Your Personal Information and Data. Upon request, Everlaw will provide you with information about whether we hold or process on behalf of a third party any of your personal information of which we are aware.
- Retaining Your Personal Information and Data. We will retain your information to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. We will retain your information for as long as your Everlaw Product account is active or as needed to provide you with the Everlaw Service. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period of time.
- Receiving Promotional and Other Communications. You may opt out of receiving promotional and newsletter emails from Everlaw by following the opt-out instructions provided in our emails to you. You may also opt-out of receiving promotional emails and other promotional communications from us at any time by emailing us with your specific request. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as security alerts and notices related to your access to or use of the Everlaw Service or those about your Product account or our ongoing business relations.
- Disabling Cookies. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies or to prompt you before accepting such a cookie. Please note that, if you choose to remove or reject browser cookies, this could affect the availability or functionality of the Everlaw Service.
Under California law, California residents who have an established business relationship with Everlaw may choose to opt out of Everlaw’s disclosure of personal information about them to third parties for direct marketing purposes. If you choose to opt out at any time after granting approval, email firstname.lastname@example.org. In accordance with California Civil Code Section 1789.3, California resident users are entitled to know that they may file grievances and complaints with the California Department of Consumer Affairs, 400 R Street, STE 1080, Sacramento, CA 95814; or by phone at (916) 445-1254 or (800) 952-5210; or by email to email@example.com.
Our Policy Toward Children
In compliance with COPPA, the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, the Everlaw Service is not directed to individuals under 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you become aware that a child has provided us with personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will take steps to delete such information. Please note, if you are under the age of 13, you may not use our website, products, or services.